REMAPPING EUROPE – A REMIX PROJECT
“REMAPPING EUROPE – A Remix project highlighting the migrant perspective (2012 – 2014)” is a project by Doc Next Network.
REMAPPING EUROPE connects young European media-makers with migrant perspectives to audiences of any age, thus creating a new imagery in and of Europe. REMAPPING EUROPE is an investigative artistic project by Doc Next Network. The project involves creating new methods for expanded education, workshops for creative media-makers, a free-use media collection, a publication and a seminar.
The project’s activities stem from one underlying principle: re-mixing of media as a method to re-view, re-investigate and re-consider prevailing imagery of migrants in European societies. Ultimately, to ‘re-map’ Europe visually, geographically and mentally.
REMAPPING EUROPE activities include:
- Creative remix ateliers in Spain, Poland, Turkey, and the UK involving 48 young digital storytellers with migrant backgrounds and perspectives creating new media. Our travelling participants have their own blog on Tumblr;
- International showcases of their remix works at significant cultural festivals in each of these countries and in an online media collection;
- Major remix-performances and installations in multiple cities including Amsterdam and Seville, called European Souvenirs;
- Transnational, cross-sectoral learning platforms investigating the migrant’s perspective in the public debate and imagery (including the Remix Room, to be published on this website soon!);
- A wider participatory, digital component involving European citizens across the continent and a research publication and catalogue documenting the processes and outcomes of the project.
An important result of the project is the archival and creative exposure of present-day perspectives of young (future) citizens on migration, as captured in creative media. It contributes to the European cultural heritage and is a future point of reference in our European collective memory.
With more than 30,000 visitors, Planete + Doc is the biggest documentary festival in Poland and one of the most important festivals of its kind in Europe. On 16 May 2013, you can attend a screening, show and workshop in the framework of Remapping Europe, a project by Doc Next Network. In the films that are programmed, young documentary makers look at the present image of migrants in Europe and tell their stories in a remix form. Among them are an art student from Iran, a Pole born in France, a reporter of Belsat and an independent Belarusian television journalist. They live in Poland, the UK, Turkey and Spain, and their stories draw a new map of contemporary Europe.
As well as Remapping Europe you can also watch an unusual Live Cinema Show, during which, in the rhythm of live music and image mixes, the authors will once again touch upon the subject of borders.
The 10th edition of the Planete + Doc Film Festival festival will be held from 10 – 19 May 2013 in Warsaw and 12 – 19 May 2013 in Wroclaw. The European Souvenirs show is on 16 May 2013 at 21:00 in Cafe Kulturalna (in the famous Palace of Culture and Sciences) in Warsaw. Entrance is free!